Department of Information Technology
In order to meet the wide ranging, challenging and very rapidly growing Global Demands for "IT Industries" in this Hi-Tech Era, the Department of 'Information Technology', has been established in the year 1999. The conceptualization and formulation for the start of this 'Branch of Study', stem out of the following related considerations:
• 'INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY' is a branch of Engineering Study, that sparks imagination and interest for creativity and provides the right perception and insight into Software development and Computer Applications
• 'INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY BRANCH' opens up 'Excellent scope' and 'New Avenues' for adaptation and thus enables pursuit of hi-tech Specialization, that engages the world.
While the First year Core Curriculum begins, with a common knowledge Base and customizes Students, by grounding in basic Engineering Foundation and in Critical hands-on skills in Engineering Practices, the Course has access to enhance the Learning, student Perspective and Experience to develop specialization in areas of IT. Class room learning is complemented by Practical’s in Hi-Tech Labs, Projects and Hands on Experiences, so as to foster Knowledge in 'IT and Computer Applications'.
Six numbers of well equipped Hi-tech laboratories with a minimum of 35 high end machines with internet connection are provided to the students to carry out the experiments.
The department has increased the intake of the student’s strength to 120 in the year 2011. A highly qualified team of 24 Faculty members and the Research Expertise in the areas of specialization are disseminated in the department to guide the students to excel in their academic.
As of today, the College has emerged as an Institution, imparting Quality Engineering Education and making contributions to 'hi-tech Industries', by producing IT Graduates, with Professionalism and right Attitude; the very first batch passed out in June, 2003.
The Department strives to develop long Term relationships with Industries and market the Student's Talents effectively. The Students are thus being provided high level 'Leads and Pathways' that will enable them to gain access to a broad range of 'high potential' and 'hi-tech' Career Opportunities.
The Department has flourished with XPLOITS- Explore in IT – a student’s forum in the year 2004 is a platform for the students to enrich their administrative skills and to exhibit their talents by the way of organizing events like symposia, seminar, workshop and conferences. .
The Objective of the Institution is to promote the development and growth of True, Effective and Efficient 'Engineering: Professionals', in all Branches including IT, through adherence to the highest Standards of Academic Integrity and overall Ethical conduct, to inculcate sense of Individual responsibility and also to collectively participate in reinforcing and maintaining an Environment of 'Honour, Trust and Standards'.
To become a model for higher learning through development to prepare self-disciplined, creative culturally competent and dynamic Information Technocrats while remaining sensitive to ethical, societal and environmental issues.
M1: To mould the students as innovative and high quality IT professionals to meet the global challenges and Entrepreneurs of international excellence as global leaders capable of contributing towards technological innovations learning process, participation citizenship in their neighborhood and economic growth.
M2: To impart value-based IT education to the students and enrich their knowledge and to achieve effective interaction between industry and institution for mutual benefits.
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES (PEO’s) :
PEO2: To improve the qualities like creativity, leadership, team work and skill thus contributing towards the growth and development of society.
PEO3: To develop ability among students towards innovation and entrepreneurship that caters to the need of Industry and society.
PEO4: To inculcate an attitude for life- long learning process through the use of information technology sources.
PROGRAMME OUTCOMES (PO's) :
Engineering Graduates will be able to
2. Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using the first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
3. Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for the complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including the design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and the synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
5. Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
6. The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
9. Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
10. Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
11. Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
12. Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOMES (PSO's) :
PSO2: Design and develop solutions for modern business environments coherent with the advanced technologies and tools.
PSO3: Design, plan and setting up the network that is helpful for contemporary business environments using latest hardware components.
PSO4: Planning and defining test activities by preparing test cases that can predict and correct errors ensuring a socially transformed product catering all technological needs.
Mrs. R. Meenakshi
Asst. Professor (Sel. G) & Head,
Dept. of Information Technology,
Valliammai Engineering College,
SRM Nagar, Kattankulathur - 603 203,
Tamil Nadu, India.
MOBILE : +91 - 98842 65017 TEL : 044 - 27454784 / 726, EXTN : 8261 FAX : 044 - 2745 1504.
EMAIL : email@example.com